Water damage is a common problem faced by homeowners and businesses alike. From burst pipes to flooding, water damage can cause significant damage to your property, as well as potential health hazards.
Knowing the basics of water damage and restoration services can help you understand what to do in case of an emergency. In this article, our team at Mars Services will provide you with a Water Damage 101 guide, covering the essentials of water damage and restoration services.
Types of Water Damage
Water damage can be classified into three categories, based on the level of contamination:
- Category 1: Clean Water Clean water comes from a clean source and does not pose any significant health risks. Examples of clean water sources include broken pipes, rainwater, and melting snow.
- Category 2: Grey Water Grey water contains some level of contamination and can cause illness or discomfort if ingested. Examples of grey water sources include dishwashers, washing machines, and toilets without feces.
- Category 3: Black Water Black water is highly contaminated and can pose significant health risks. Examples of black water sources include sewage backups, floodwaters, and water from natural disasters.
The Restoration Process
The restoration process involves several steps that aim to remove water, dry out the affected area, and restore your property to its pre-loss condition.
The steps involved in the restoration process are:
- Assessment: A professional restoration company will assess the extent of the water damage and develop a plan for restoration.
- Water Extraction: The first step in the restoration process is to remove any standing water from your property using specialized equipment.
- Drying: After the water is removed, the affected area is dried using air movers and dehumidifiers to prevent mold growth.
- Cleaning: The next step is to clean and sanitize the affected area to prevent any potential health hazards.
- Restoration: Once the area is dry and clean, restoration services are provided to repair any damages to your property, such as flooring, drywall, and paint.
While it may be impossible to prevent all instances of water damage, there are several preventative measures you can take to reduce the risk:
- Regularly inspect and maintain your plumbing and appliances to prevent leaks and clogs.
- Install a sump pump to prevent flooding in your basement or crawl space.
- Keep your gutters clean to prevent water damage caused by overflowing gutters.
- Ensure that your property has proper drainage to prevent water from pooling around your foundation.
- Inspect your roof regularly and repair any leaks or damage promptly.
Count on Mars Services for Water Damage Restoration
Water damage can be a significant problem for homeowners and businesses, but understanding the basics of water damage and restoration services can help you be prepared in case of an emergency. If you experience water damage, it is essential to contact Mars Services promptly to ensure proper restoration and prevent any potential health hazards.
Has your home experienced water damage? Contact the team at Mars Service to schedule water damage restoration services today! Serving the Dallas-Fort Worth area.